Facts I found out about the Wren
* Its latin name is Troglodytes troglodytes. Big title for a tiny bird.
* There are over 10 million wrens in the U.K. alone!
* Their vibrant song can be heard a kilometer away!
* When a Wren sings if you look closely then you can notice it shakes with effort because of the high pitch and loud capacity.
* Wrens are one of the smallest birds and measure nine to ten centimeters long (9-10cm) and weigh eight to thirteen grams (8-13g)
* A wren chick eats 500-600 meals in a day! The mother barely get time to feed herself.
* The male builds several nests and the female chooses one in which to lay her eggs.
* The wren lays 2 clutches of eggs per breeding season, 5-8 eggs in each clutch.
Although vast numbers of wrens die during a severe Winter, the large number of eggs they produce helps maintain their population.
The reason a bird a small as the Wren sings so loudly is because the syrinx is a resonant cavity which maintains or amplifies the notes.
A couple of years ago we found an empty wren's nest in the garden so we're hoping they're nesting here again. It would be wonderful to see the babies!
Own up.... who said, "Awwwwwww" when daddy couldn't get the twig in the nestbox? :D