How to go Veggie? Click this link

Want to go veggie banner

Monday, May 4, 2009

I've ruined my Constance!

fuchsia Constance

Last year, round about this time, I began training a standard fuchsia.

<--------- This is what a standard looks like.

The variety I choose was Constance, gorgeous with her pale pink sepals, purple corolla and mid-green foliage. She was a baby when I potted her up thinking what a perfect standard she'd make with her nice straight stem. During the following months I carefully and lovingly pinched out each axillary bud as they appeared, to prevent side shoots from growing.

<---------- some botany.

Constance was very obliging, growing quickly and forming a pleasing shape. She even produced many fine flowers that first season. Round about November she went into the greenhouse for the Winter, safe in her container and stem tied loosely to a stake for support. Just this week I noticed that she had the beginnings of a whitefly infestation so I brought her outside for some fresh air. Whitefly is caused by warm temperatures so she needed to be outside, despite me opening the greenhouse windows fully each day. We've had very high winds in the U.K. over the past couple of days and the wind had blown poor Constance back and forth, loosening the soil round her stem. Hubby carried the heavy container to the patio for me, where she would be more protected and I set about firming the soil round the stem. Alas, I wasn't as gentle as I should have been and snapped it! Hearing my cry of dismay, hubby looked round and all he had to say was, "I'm bl**dy glad I didn't do that."

From the remains of Constance, I took about thirty cuttings. Oh well, here goes again......

7 comments:

  1. Ooooooh! So sorry you lost it! The one in the photo is beautiful. Best of luck with the new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deedee. The experience has taught me some lessons..... to be much more careful and not to leave a standard out in the open in the path of the wind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. I know how it feels to really love and care for a plant and then lose it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I forgot....that's exactly something my husband would say!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara. :) Well, it was my own stupid fault. Mind you, hubby is right..... if it had been him I'd have given him a right shellacking! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your cuttings all do well. We've all heard that dreaded snap before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Debbie. :) Some of them are looking promising.

    ReplyDelete