How to go Veggie? Click this link

Want to go veggie banner

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

This is what you call a 'blank canvas'!


Here's a corner of the back garden.  With the flooding we've had, I've been turning the lawn over.  I think it will be easier to pave this bit, while the dogs are still with us, rather than struggle to restore the lawn to an acceptable condition.  It's heavy and hard work though. 


I'm trying to think of this scene a year from now! :O)




I haven't a clue what this plant/shrub/climber/triffid is.  Most of the plants round the fences have become old, tangled and overgrown - some of them have just given up and died....like the clematis in the photo' below.



Lots of prunings to take to the council tip..... and this isn't all of it!


But at least we have some snowdrops.... in amongst the fungi.

You can see what fun I have ahead of me, in between decorating the house..... or should I say, decorating the house in between doing the garden! :D  I have to admit to having been feeling very sorry for myself, as I clean all the clods of muck off the carpets that the dogs are bringing in, despite wiping their feet - wiping 3 sets of paws at regular intervals becomes tiring after a while...... then I read an article from Pan Magazine ....... and I realised I have the 'stuff of stars' on all my carpets. :D


"A teaspoon of living soil contains a million bacteria, 20 million fungi, 1 million protozoa, and 200,000 algae - a stupendous reservoir of genetic materials that have evolved continuously since the dawn of the earth.  These micro-organisms are busily engaging in photosynthesis at the surface.  They fix nitrogen to roots.  They bury carbon that is then released back into the air through the transformation of organic matter into carbon dioxide, a process known as soil respiration. 

The soil is active.  The soil is alive.  The soil is a life related to our own life.  And our very sustenance comes from the soil.  Billions of years ago, the same carbon that is in our bodies today exploded from a supernova, became the stuff of stars and helped give rise to the planets."

(excerpt taken from Pan Magazine, Autumn 2005 - Pan Magazine is published by the World Pantheist Movement)

12 comments:

  1. There you are then........bit of muck never harmed anyone and those Knickerists have proved it. Stop cleaning the dogs feet and sprinkle seed on the carpets....have fun and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you knit Lesley?
    Hows about some bootees for the dogs, they take them off as they come in. We have 6 cats and our main problem is fur, so we removed all the carpets downstairs and install laminate and ceramic floor tiles. Easy to keep clean.
    While you are doing the hard work decorating and gardening just think of the calories being burned, that might keep you going. It may take 2 or 3 years but i'm sure you will get your garden just as you like. With a "blank canvas" the finished product will be ALL YOUR CREATION.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the thought of what the garden could look like in the Summer will drive you on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly have been busy and it is hard work, especially tackling vines on fences which have grown out of control.
    I knew that soil was important but did not realise that it held so many beneficial and ancient properties of the Universe, not surprising though as all matter that decays has to go somewhere.
    It is a daunting task sometimes taking on a blank canvas but you will have the garden looking as you want it in time Lesley dear. I always say that my garden is 'a work in progress' as it is constantly changing, either by myself or Nature.
    Take your time and enjoy the process.
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeds Adrian ?! There's enough muck on the carpets to grow potatoes. :O)

    Lol John .... I'll become a slimline waterproof bootee knitter! Er.... waterproof bootees that is. :D

    It's hard to imagine at the moment, David , but now and again I get inspirational moments. :)

    It blew me away too Dianne , when I read it. I agree, there's always something new and different in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I will print out the bit from Pan Magazine and stick it on my wall in the breakfast room which is looking more like a boot room..a muddy boot room! You have my sympathy but hopefully this cold wet weather won't be for much longer. Can't wait for some sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly do have your work cut out for you, as they say, Lesley. With your green thumb, I am confident this garden will be the envy of your entire neighborhood by the end of June. The excerpt from the magazine is amazing! I really had no idea of the riotous community of living stuff in a tiny bit of soil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Helen . We're laying the paving slabs in the back garden next weekend. I didn't particularly want to pave it, but it's just while the dogs are still with us. I'll leave a generous border all round, though, for planting wildflowers, etc. We've had a few sunny days just lately, but the ground is still very wet.

    Thanks Deedee . My spirits are a bit low at the moment with not being able to crack on with the work.... I'm being a bit of a spoiled child! Reading something like that really brings it home how incredible nature is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, pretty fascinating stuff about simple dirt. We have the same problem...or maybe it's not so now...at our house - three dogs coming and gong as they please, only we have hardwood floors, which you would think would be easier, right? WRONG! Every little print stands out like a sore thumb. And you can't just dab it with a damp cloth - you have to do the whole floor with special cleaner.

    Fred asked me just the other day why our floor isn't shining any more. DOGS, I told him, and YOU were the one who had to have them!

    You do have your work cut out for you in the garden, but I've seen your work before, and I know it'll be amazing! Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww, thanks Ethelmae - so encouraging! I'm just waiting for some dry weather and then it will be all systems go. I know all about hardwood floors..... at least with carpets you can leave the mud to dry and then vacuum it up. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I had no idea! Referring to some folks as being "dumber than dirt" shall no longer carry the stigma that I intended. This is the prodding I need to turn over a new leaf and cultivate fertile friendships with praise instead of misguided insults.

    ReplyDelete